Monday, May 23, 2011

Carribean Chicken Jerk Wraps

Found this recipe a few months ago on scribbit.blogspot.com (it was posted in July 2010).... finally tried it out this weekend.
We'll be making it again.
Skipped investing in either the nuts or the mint this time (thought about it until I saw what the store wanted for each) ... maybe next time. 
The store only had marinade --so it was probably spicier than if we used the jerk sauce.

salt to taste (I didn't use any)
1/2-teas. cinnamon
1/2-teas. allspice
1/3-cup jerk sauce (liquid, not the dry spice)
1-1/2 lbs. of chicken, cooked and shredded (we had some leftover grilled chicken)
2-cups cooked rice
3/4-cup pineapple (the original post said fresh, I used canned crushed, well drained)
1/4-cup chopped macademia nuts (didn't have any, maybe next time)
3-TB. chopped fresh mint (skipped this time)
2-teas. lime juice (I just sprinkle a few drops of lime juice on each wrap as I made it)
4   10-inch flour tortillas for wraps

In a bowl mix the spices and jerk sauce together.
Warm the tortllas and spread the spiced jerk sauce evenly on each.
Top with warm cooked rice, warm shredded chicken.
Top with nuts, mint, lime juice.
Roll up like a burrito and serve immediately.

Holly's notes:
Our tortillas fell apart as we were eating them ...next time I think I'll put the sauce on top of the rice or heat the shredded chicken in it.
Makes a quick, filling meal that tastes great.
Since I could only find marinade -- the sauce was probably spicier than regular jerk sauce.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Hi Holly,
I've been meaning to make a jerk chicken recipe for a while. This one sounds great! I love poking around people's blogs and seeing life in other houses. Thanks for letting me into yours!